Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Aviva Dunsiger



I'm so thankful for today's snow storm and early dismissal--I was able to catch up on some much needed school work, including the opportunity to really go through Aviva Dunsiger's classroom blog and class wiki. After looking through everything I was completely blown away. First of all, I'm amazed at how much information is there and that she's able to find the time to update all the pages so frequently. I run my school's before and after care program, and, oops, tomorrow's March 1st and I haven't even started composing and printing the March invoices yet!

Second, I love her idea of posting a video of the classroom layout prior to the first day of school and putting it on the class blog. So many students have anxieties about the first day of school; I'm sure it helped tremendously for Ms. Dunsiger's first and second graders to see the room beforehand and know what to expect. I kept thinking about one of the students at my school last year--as a kindergartener, he had severe anxiety about moving on to first grade in the fall. His stress began at about this time last year. Even though his new first grade classroom was right downstairs and he could visit it, the very idea upset him. For months he would randomly run out of the room, act sullen, and/or kick walls and chairs, shouting, "I don't want to go to first grade!" I wonder if something as simple as having a video like this would have calmed him, especially during the summer months, so he could take comfort in knowing what was coming.

Third, I LOVE all the technology evident in Ms. Dunsiger's classroom, from the "Blogger's Cafe" to the wall of computers to the use of Nintendo DSs (!). That really shocked me. I have never seen a teacher incorporate DSs into her curriculum, and yet, it makes perfect sense. Kids are attached to them like they're a third arm (as I type this I can hear my first grader in the other room playing "Mario 3D Land" on the 3DS he got for Christmas). Why not utilize them for good (i.e., educational purposes) instead of for evil (recreation; okay, not really evil, but you know what I mean).

I'm looking forward to Skyping with Ms. Dunsiger tomorrow night and seeing whether or not she'll be wearing a Super Woman cape (provided the snow tapers off, that is!).

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I totally agree that this woman is superwoman! I feel like such an ancient teacher, only in my second year, after looking through her stuff. holy cow! She is simply an amazing woman. I loved the idea of setting up a video of the classroom. This gives the students an idea as to what to expect their first days of school and it also informs parents about the year ahead and the school rules and expectations of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're so sweet! I'm incredibly humbled by your kind words. Trust me: I'm not Super Woman! :) I always spent a lot of time doing school work, and I still do. I just work differently. My tools are different now, and my approach to teaching and learning is different as well.

    As for the video idea, I'm glad you liked it! I actually did it because I have two students in my class with autism. I find that preparing them for what the room looks like and what they're going to be doing, helps a lot! In the end, the video ended up benefiting everyone. I'll definitely be doing this again.

    Can't wait to Skype in with your class tomorrow! My two students are thrilled to share too.

    Aviva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I too was happy for the snow day last week! Although I did not use it to catch up on anything. I was equally impressed with our skype session, I don't know how a teacher can get so much done! Working with children with Autism makes me appreciate the posting of as much information prior to the year to prepare them. It makes such a difference when they have a routine and plan! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete