Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Diigo

Diigo

I had a terrible time in class last week trying to figure out Diigo on those old PCs down in the computer lab! I was using Internet Explorer, the only browser I've ever really used, and couldn't keep up. I kept getting stuck trying to get the diigolet to show up in my Favorites bar. Finally, tonight...Eureka! I found success on my own home PC (which we recently upgraded after using one that was over 12 years old). I was able to successfully bookmark a minimum of 10 sites--as per instructions--and happily viewed each one in my library to be sure it appeared. I have to admit that I stole the sites from a list titled "Top 10 Cool Math Websites" that my fourth grade son brought home from school back in September. Ever since then we've kept the list by the computer, just in case the "Add to Favorites" option in Internet Explorer somehow failed us. However, what I've found with Diigo is that, as long as I'm logged in to my account, my son can access his favorite websites on any computer, not just our home computer, including my laptop, which I often have with me during lengthy waits for doctor appointments. I mostly focused on math websites, but of course Diigo can also help enhance literacy skills.

Image credit: Microsoft Office clip art

Image credit: Microsoft Office clip art

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I had the worst time in class setting up my Diigo account. I was using Google Chrome and couldn’t get the gadget into my favorites bar. At home, I had better luck. Using internet explorer, and about five minutes of figuring out where my favorites bar was located, I was able to access Diigo in just a few short seconds. I remembered some sites that I stumbled upon during my Computers in the Classroom days, and added those to my favorites. I also remembered some sites I used during Student Teaching onto my account. I am aiming for language websites that are geared towards teaching Spanish with culture and grammar. But I am also looking for ones that will give me ideas on how to teaching literacy skills and comprehension skill in a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was much easier at home for me too! I looked mainly into literacy sites that focused on making the writing/reading process more engaging and fun. I'm sure by the time this course is over, if not now, we can compile our own "top sites" list and share a huge resource with eachother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem at school and I am still having the problem on my Mac, however, I tried it on my work computer and it worked just fine. I think Diing is a great resource but can be difficult to manage.

    ReplyDelete